Thursday, December 20, 2018

Saunders Aircraft Canada at Gimli - a short intro

note! a new blog site has been  set up solely for Saunders Aircraft at Saunders Aircraft Canada

Saunders Aircraft Canada at Gimli - a short introduction and a request for help.

Saunders ST-28, photographer unknown via the web


In around 1970 the Gov. of Canada announced that "CFB Gimli", the airforce base in Gimli would  close in 1971 as a federal government cost cutting measure.



The Provincial Government of Manitoba looking at offsetting the employment losses from the base closing began seeking alternate industries or businesses to relocate or set up in the Town of  Gimli that had a population of around 2000.

CFB Gimli


One such firm that was offered a Manitoba Government grant to relocate to Gimli was Saunders Aircraft of Montreal, Quebec led by David Saunders.

The 1970 September prov. gov. news release Aircraft Industry Planned for Gimli

I've been collecting material on Saunders Aircraft for the past five years and I need more Saunders Aircraft material and stories, if you have something to share on Saunders Aircraft, please email me at kenair18@gmail.com   . 

Wilf Ansel of Inwood Manitoba got me started on this Saunders Aircraft story and I thank Wilf for his info.


I expect sometime in the new year 2019, I'll begin a series of posts on Saunders Aircraft at Gimli, I will post as I get the Saunders inforamtion, they will not be in total order - use the search box on the upper right hand corner.

Sincerely, Ken Kalynuk, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada



No comments:

Post a Comment